Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chocolate Buckwheat Granola


There is a story from my childhood my parents love to retell over and over again. I don't mind hearing it, I always end up laughing at my childish behaviours anyway. So I used to take gymnastic classes when I was around 4-5 years old. Back then, we didn't have a car yet and it was our first winter in Canada as new immigrants from Hong Kong. You can imagine how much of an adjustment it is to go from a humid city to a place that gets walloped with snow and polar vortex and whatever the cruel Canadian winters can throw on you.

Based on my parents' account, they carried me from home to the community centre in the cold, hiking through thick snow as more of the white stuff continued to fall. They remember it was like -15 degrees, despite being bundled up in layers of clothing, it was cold enough to feel your bones hurt. When we finally made it to the gym, I refused to take my class. I didn't have a legitmate excuse, I was just being a stubborn brat and threw a tandrum, bawling when they tried to take off my puffy coat and coaxing me to go play. I relented and continued to cry. They were pissed. They didn't walk all this way in the brutal cold for nothing.




I find this story hilarious, I really was that stubborn (and still am sometimes). This year has been a harsh winter and I've been thinking about this story a lot. I was in Costa Rica for 9 days. It took me almost just as long to get over my stomach flu when I got back. But rejoice! I have my appetite again and have been eating my favourite foods again, including this granola. I eat it almost everyday with plain yogurt. It's crunchy, nutty and the addition of chocolate makes it even better.

It's full of rolled oats, buckwheat, sunflower and chia seeds, shredded coconut, and chocolate and peanut butter. I do prefer another granola I've made before, likening the sweetness. Still, this granola makes for a quick breakfast or snack and also gifts if you're the giving away type of person.


Chocolate Buckwheat Granola

Adapted from Blissful Bliss

Ingredients
1½ cups rolled oats
1 cup raw buckwheat groats
¼ cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
¼ cup chia seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup natural peanut butter
⅓ cup honey
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350⁰F. In a large mixing bowl, add the rolled oats, buckwheat groats, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl.

Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, olive oil, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk for 4-5 minutes or until all ingredients are melted together.

Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper and spread the granola mixture evenly over the pan.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, tossing halfway through, and remove from oven. Let the granola cool completely and store in a airtight container to maintain freshness.





Recipe here!

No comments:

Post a Comment